fiRsT thOugHt oF thE vGa 2009

When I first came across the Video Game Awards, it was in 2005 (I think more or less... since it was the title of my project back in university... it was something to do with computer graphics)... little did I know I would still be in the picture (talking about the VGAs after my university days are long gone).


First thought of Video Game Awards? Well, I see VGA as a way that the world has finally begun to stand up and take the gaming industry seriously and by hosting this kind of awards... it gives the developers more incentive to come out with better games... (well, there are still some countries that don't really view gaming as a profession as well as an industry... but rather a 'bad' influence and mindless entertainment for the kids... and that's why I picked up this topic as my project during my university days). Anyway, after seeing the preview of VGA 2009 (sent via email by Animax... thanks a million ^^...) I have a few words... Jack Black... he is just so super awesome!

I feel like there are a lot of missing pieces from the VGAs this time around... i.e. what ever happened to the online gaming category? Where are games like 'Resident Evil 5'? Who REALLY nominated the games to their respective categories in the 1st place? The RPG category was a bit off IMHO. 'Dragon Age: Origins' was odds on to win but putting a Nintendo DS game (the game in question being 'Mario And Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story') against it? Both are great games in their own right but it just doesn't seem 'fair'. But I do agree with most of the awards... like 'Assassins Creed II' and 'The Beatles : Rock Band'. And out of all the winners, I do think 'Uncharted 2 : Among Thieves' really deserves the 'Game of the Year'... its a kick *** game. I've been following Naughty Dog since their 'Crash Bandicoot' days so this is just plain awesome.

Uncharted 2 : Among Thieves... definitely one of the game I'm going to get soon...

But at least, like I've mentioned earlier... more of these kind of awards means more quality games are going to come out. Developers will be going all out to create THE best game... using the latest technology and computer graphics (that blurs the borderline of what is CG and what is not... playing too many games on a HDTV can really 'screw' with your brain). Me being born as an 80's baby, the gaming scene has changed dramatically from simple pixel games (like the good old classic Atari, Space Invaders) to the complex use of CG like the ones seen in the VGAs.

After all this, it is making me wanting to go to the local game shop and buy all the games that won the awards (of course, not to forget those that did not win but were nominated as well... especially the game 'Brutal Legends'). Dante (of DMC fame) with a guitar anyone? Jack Black is the deciding factor why I wanna get that game. However, the game that I'm anticipating the most is 'God Of War 3', 'Assassins Creed II' and 'Green Day : Rock Band'... (guess I'm going to have a black hole in my wallet soon... ><").

Rock Band Green Day version anyone? I guess my hand is gonna get tired from playing "American Idiot"... ><"

Peace Out ~~

Comments

Popular Posts