mEE hOOn kuEh...

In the northern region and Kuala Lumpur, this particular dish is known as 'Pan Mee'... (I'm not so sure what kind of names other states are calling this particular dish as... but in Melaka, this is called 'Mee Hoon Kueh' in Melaka Hokkien and in Mandarin, it is known as 'Mien Fen Kaou'). It's a pretty common dish. You can find this at any food court or hawker center in Melaka.

But nothing beats homemade. Normally when I was still studying in Secondary School, my mom would cook a lot of nice food. One of it is this... (though she seldom cooks anymore ever since I started my University and working life... and my dad always complains that my mom nowadays never really cook a lot... well, just cooking for 2 people isn't a very good idea to start with... ^^).

The process of making the dough is quite simple but needs a lot of energy (as you'll need to mix those eggs, flour... etc. and then pound and knead it). Whenever my mom is doing this, the kitchen is always loud (from the sound of her banging the dough... =.="... good for stress relief... I think). After you knead the dough, you can leave it aside and start preparing the side dishes (or 'liao'... just to sound like what my grandma and mom always says).

This is how the dough looks like after hours of pounding and kneading... don't worry, no people were harmed during the process of pounding the dough... only the kitchen floor suffers from my mom's wrath... ^^

The side dishes is the best! Those ikan bilis, shredded meats, sliced mushroom, some green veggies and those meatballs (or 'bak ee'...) and the soup... man, writing this is making me wanting to go back to Melaka and ask my mom to do this dish. But the best part is the ikan bilis... my mom fried it until it is extra crispy... but not the overcooked kind of crispy.

The soup base... you can see those sliced mushrooms and shredded meat floating around... man, I'm hungry =.="

After all is done, the real deal starts now. Cooking time... remember the dough earlier? Now, it is time for the dough to be ripped apart (muahahahahaha... *sinister laughter*). Just boil it in hot water for a few minutes until it is soft.

Just cooking it in plain water will do... wait for it to boil until it is soft...

After that, just take out all those cooked dough pieces and add in the 'liao'. Mmm... Mmm... (drooling uncontrollably...) That's what I like about homemade cooking as I can put as much 'liao' as I like in it (I lose control with the ikan bilis and the pepper... not much a fan of the veggies though... but I still eat it since it taste much nicer in 'Mee Hoon Kueh').

There you have it... 'Mee Hoon Kueh' or 'Pan Mee'... ^^

Can't wait to go back hometown the soonest possible when I get the chance... Imagine all the nice food I can eat... (*drool*) Chicken Rice Balls, Satay Celup, Hong Kong Chee Cheong Fun, Chai Tau Kueh... man... I got to stop... or else you guys will be killing me.

Peace Out ~~

Comments

Popular Posts