a nEw waY foR pRomOtiNg soMethiNg...

All along, I'm never very good in marketing things... but there's one thing that I won't doubt myself in succeeding... that is promotions and event management. However, if you look it up in academic terms... promotions and event management is something that is connected with each other (I mean under the big gigantic umbrella of 'Marketing'... correct me if I'm wrong... ^^).

I don't mean to say anything about anyone or any giant corporation here... but this is purely my thoughts about promotions and event activities currently being practiced in Penang... or rather the whole Malaysia (I'm not sure about the practices in other countries... but what I see currently being practiced in Malaysia). OK... now... I'll play it safe from here (even though I look up to one particular blogger... but I won't be so as extreme as he is).

During this festive season (I mean since Christmas and New Year have already passed, there's still another particular festive season... Chinese New Year), when one visit a place i.e. like a shopping mall, without a doubt there will be decorations on the atrium or the foyer. But if you look closely and compare it with each other, there's not much difference. Its the same idea over and over again... difference is... the setting and their theme. They might be different... but the feeling is still the same.

It got me thinking... are Malaysian's running out of ideas? Or are they just afraid to think out of the box? I know that Chinese New Year means tradition, reunion, good luck, prosperity... blah blah blah... but having the idea of the same traditional setup of the decorations over and over again... yawwnnss... it seems like we are bound to be tied forever by the same idea year in, year out. Can't they have another concept other than the typical traditional and old town concept? Come on... marketing and promotions is about daring to venture out of the box and defining change... (well, that's my idea about marketing and promotions... ^^).

Ideas are abound everywhere... it is whether you know how to bend them slightly to your creativity and concept... Chinese New Year is a traditional thing... but as humans and society evolves, so does tradition. If we can't get out from our own tradition, why should we talk about modernization of the society when one is still being tied by traditional values. Its like "I want Roti Canai but I don't want the Canai"... In order for ones thinking to evolve to a better level, one must first break the boundaries of tradition (but not too much la)... that's what I believe in. Although sometimes it is undeniable that tradition and values are what made us human today... if we can't get out from the box... we'll never be an innovative and creative individual or society.

They may look like fools dancing around in the streets... but nevertheless, this is a good and effective way to promote something... ^^

Peace Out ~~

Comments

Popular Posts