woRld heRitAge lisTinG... hooRay...

I did my research on Melaka during my University about tourism. Since Melaka was the historical city, obtaining vital information about the real condition of tourism in Melaka would be easy since I know my way around there.

However, I only focus on a particular place in Melaka. That is Jonker Street (Chee Cheong Kai as what known to locals). The reason I choose this place was Jonker Street was just an ordinary street around the corner. The government decided to make it as a heritage walk since that particular street is the main focus of all cultures; can be say as a melting pot.

When I was doing the research on the topic, I went to the Melaka Tourism Action Coucil. Besides sapuing all the fancy things that they have to offer for my project (like maps, explanation cards and etc.) I've also did a short interview with the person in-charge, Ms. Nina. She was friendly and told me that Jonker Street are in the waiting list to become one of the World Heritage Sites by UNESCO.

On the 9th July 2008 (according to the newspaper), Melaka and Penang were finally listed as the
World Heritage Sites. Yippee!!

But some of the sites they need to re-think la. Why they go list the Melaka River as a heritage site?! Seriously... besides spotting a few BIG lizards on the sides of the river, I didn't see anything so 'heritage' about it. Unless you're telling me that those lizards are critically endangered species and they are part of the 'heritage' thingy... or they have the river cleaned up.

Peace Out ~~

Comments

Popular Posts